Help: Federal W-4 Tax Information


Most faculty and staff can change their Federal tax withholding information using Employee Self-Service available on the Wolverine Access gateway.

Important Information

Faculty and staff who are not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident CANNOT change Federal tax withholding information.

Unavailable Status - The W-4 Federal Tax Information self service page in Employee Business is unavailable several days a month due to payroll processing. A message on the W-4 Tax Information page will indicate when the page is unavailable.


Homepage: Employee Self-Service > Payroll and Compensation > W-4 Federal Tax Information

NavBar > Navigator > Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > W-4 Federal Tax Information


There are two ways to complete the form:
  1. Use the W-4 Federal Tax Information self service page to complete and submit.
    1. Follow the instructions given on the page.
    2. Use the View Instructions links to assist in the completion of the online form.
  2. Print and complete the Employee's Withholding Certificate from the IRS website.
    1. Mail or fax the form to the University Payroll Office. See the Contact Information section below for further details.
    2. Allow up to 15 business days for changes to display and to be used in payroll processing.

Contact Information

Questions? Contact the University Payroll Office:

Phone: 734-615-2000, option 2 or 1-866-647-7657 for toll-free long distance

Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Mail: The University of Michigan Payroll Office
G395 Wolverine Tower-Low Rise
3003 South State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1279

Fax: 1-734-647-3983