Most faculty and staff can change their State of Michigan tax withholding information using the Wolverine Access website. You can change the number of exemptions you are claiming, change or add any additional amounts you would like withheld, or claim exemption from withholding.
Faculty and staff who are not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident CANNOT change State of Michigan tax withholding information using the Wolverine Access website. Click the Link to MI W-4 Form at the top of the page to print and fill out the Michigan W-4 form. Mail or fax this form to the University Payroll Office to make changes to your exemptions. See the Contact Information section below for further details. Please allow up to 15 business days for changes to display on Wolverine Access and be used in payroll processing.
Unavailable Status - The State of Michigan W-4 self service page is unavailable several days a month due to payroll processing. A message on the Michigan W-4 page will indicate when the page is unavailable.
Self-Service > Payroll and Compensation > W-4 Michigan Tax Information
- If necessary, click the Link to MI W-4 Form. This form provides directions for calculating the number of exemptions you should claim. You can also print a hard copy of this form if you need to mail or fax it to the University Payroll Office.
- Enter total number of Allowances you are claiming.
- If applicable, Enter Additional Amount, if any, you want withheld from each paycheck.
- If applicable, check the If you meet both conditions and wish to claim exemption from the withholding, click here box.
Note: You cannot enter a value in the Enter Additional Amount, if any, you want withheld from each paycheck field if you are claiming Exempt status.
- Click Submit to submit your changes to the University Payroll Office.
Note: After you click the Submit button, you must either click Submit again if you wish to continue or click Cancel to return to the Employee Business page. If you click Submit, a confirmation email will be sent to your university email address to confirm any changes you have made.
Questions? Contact the University Payroll Office:
Phone: 5-2000, option 2, from the Ann Arbor Campus, 734-615-2000, option 2, from the local Ann Arbor area, or 1-866-647-7657 for toll-free long distance
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Mail: The University of Michigan Payroll Office
G395 Wolverine Tower-Low Rise
3003 South State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1279