- The Faculty Center Textbooks page provides a place for the class instructor(s) (Faculty or GSIs) to enter textbooks and other materials used in a class. To assist instructors, staff can be authorized to access similar pages in M-Pathways.
- Textbook data can be submitted to a preferred bookstore or all participating bookstores (see the Textbook step-by-step procedure for details.) Participating bookstores retrieve data entered in Wolverine Access and use it to make ordering decisions. Although the bookstores will continue to have other ordering methods available (e.g., web sites, forms, phone), you do not need to use them.
- Desk Copies can be requested by contacting the publisher or the publisher representative directly. A list of commonly used publishers can be found at the bottom of this page.
- The system does not require you to enter textbook information by a certain time and it allows you to make additions or changes to textbooks up to the last day of the class. However, this information will be most useful if entered in accordance with the important dates on the Office of Registrar's Textbook Calendar.
- Students can view textbook data associated with a class in the:
- Wolverine Access Course Catalog and Class Search
- Wolverine Access Student Class Schedule (after they've registered for a class)
After textbook data is made public, changes and additions are:
- Viewable immediately in the Wolverine Access course catalog and student schedules
- Sent to bookstores in a daily change file
- Note: Keep in mind that students who previously viewed class textbook information may not realize a change was made. In some cases, you may wish to notify your students to view the updated textbook information in Wolverine Access.
- Wolverine Access sends textbook search criteria to WorldCat, the same third party catalog site used by the U-M Libraries. The data returned in the search results is exactly as delivered from WorldCat. Wolverine Access does not control the completeness and format of the data. If the WorldCat system is not working, you will receive an error message. Some ISBNs will not be found in WorldCat.
- Assistance locating bibliographic information to correctly identify textbooks is available via Ask a Librarian from the University Library website. Ask a Librarian is tailored to the research needs of U-M faculty, staff, and students. You can connect to a librarian by IM, e-mail, phone, or in person. Visit http://www.lib.umich.edu/ask/ for more information.
- To be compatible with U-M systems, students must purchase Quizdom Student Clickers from the U-M Computer Showcase. To help avoid confusion with bookstores, please do not add Quizdom requirements as "Other Materials."
- The textbook entry page was created to support the Provost Office initiative to reduce student textbook cost.
View the textbook step-by-step procedure for details on how to:
- Go to the textbook page for a specific class
- Enter general information
- Add, edit, or delete textbooks
- Add, edit, or delete other materials
- Copy textbook and other material information to other class sections
Commonly Used Publishers
For assistance or questions, contact the ITS Service Center: